- One in six children die before their fifth birthday
- 44% of the population of Ethiopia is under 15 years old
- 60% of children in Ethiopia are stunted because of malnutrition
- The median age in Ethiopia is 17.8 years
- 1.5 million people are infected with AIDS (6th highest in the world)
- 720,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS alone, and there are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia.
- Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa
- In the 90s the population (3%) grew faster than food production (2.2%)Drought struck the country from 2000-2002 (first year no crops, second year no seeds, third year no animals)
- Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school. 88% will never attend secondary school.
- Coffee prices (Ethiopia’s only major export) fell 40-60% from 1998-2002.
- Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000.
- In 1993, after 30 long years of war, Eritrea broke from Ethiopia and became an independent nation leaving Ethiopia landlocked without any major seafaring ports.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
I just found this on another family's blog. Thought you might be interested...